Me, abridged...

My photo
I'm a "twenty-something". I am hopelessly awkward and romantic. I love music and movies and traveling and having new adventures. I teach first grade in South Carolina. These are my romantic musings and random ramblings.

Thursday, September 19, 2013

The Anti-Mr. Darcy Effect

Recently, I was watching Pride and Prejudice (one of my top 10 favorite movies and books), and I got to thinking about two different kinds of men in this world--granted, not the only two, because this is a big world and I know there are MANY different kinds, but for the sake of this post, I'm discussing only two--the Mr. Darcy-esque men and the Mr. Wickham-esque men.

It's every girl's dream to meet her Mr. Darcy...he seems like a jerk at first, but is actually good and true and kind and you can "bewitch him body and soul". (There's a whole group of people like Mr. Darcy, the ones who are stand-offish at first but aren't actually rude or prideful once you give them a chance--they're called introverts. I understand because I am one, and I probably relate more to Darcy than Elizabeth.)  It takes Mr. Darcy longer to decide to reveal his true self, which is fine.  He wants to make sure you are worthy of his trust before he opens up and shows he has a heart.

On the other hand, there are the Mr. Wickhams of this world. These men seem friendly and fun-loving at first but turn out to be swindlers, womanizers, sadists, misogynists, etc. Basically, they seem nice initially but reveal themselves to be completely full of crap. I call this the "Anti-Mr. Darcy Effect". Rather than seeming like a jerk at first, like Darcy, the Mr. Wickhams seem awesome at first but end up being jerks in the end.

Unfortunately, the true Darcy men of this world seem to be in shorter supply than the Wickhams.  If only the Mr. Wickham types would show their true nature from the very beginning, we could run for the hills and save ourselves a lot of heartache and bitter resentment--unless you're like Lydia Bennet and you're into that crap. But as is, I guess figuring out people's intentions as you're getting to know them is part of the fun.

1 comment:

  1. I could watch that movie over and over again. The first time I watched it I hated Mr. Darcy but after awhile he grows on you.

    ReplyDelete