Me, abridged...

My photo
I'm a "twenty-something". I am hopelessly awkward and romantic. I love music and movies and traveling and having new adventures. I teach first grade in South Carolina. These are my romantic musings and random ramblings.

Monday, May 27, 2013

Almost 15 versus almost 25.


Well, I'm turning 25 in less than a month and it's got me thinking about growth and change and all that nonsense. So, I have composed a list of pros and cons of being 25 versus being 15.

Pros:
  • I've actually been kissed now, so the whole "never been kissed" thing is no longer a source of anxiety for me. (Yes...I didn't have my first kiss until I was almost 17.)
  • I know how to drive (sort of).
  • I no longer feel the need to try to impress people so that they think I'm cool.  I think I'm freakin' awesome and that's really all that matters. Most of the people who were actually cool and popular peaked in high school anyway.
  • I don't have braces or a retainer.
  • I no longer have to hide my thong underwear from my mother. Did anyone else do that or was it just me?
  • I don't have to sneak alcohol from my friend's parents' liquor cabinets. No more vodka and Dr. Peppers! (Vom. Who would willingly drink that crap? The answer is me.)
  • If I want to have a "gentleman caller", I don't have to be stealthy about it. He can just come back to "my place". Too bad this has literally NEVER happened. 
Cons:
  • I can no longer go to prom without being seen as a child molester.  Or as a chaperone.  Now, the only occasions I get dressed up for are other people's weddings. 
  • I use WRINKLE CREAM on my face. (Mostly as a preventative measure, but STILL.)
  • I ALWAYS have to do the dreaded ring check.  When I was 15, no one was married or had children. 
  • I can't wear tiny short shorts from Abercrombie or Hollister without looking sleazy. I mean, I've always had a big butt but now it's just obscene. Thank GOD Abercrombie and Hollister shorts aren't fashionable anymore anyway.
  • I have to pay for my own car. And rent. And groceries. Being an adult is not that fun. 
  • Some places have stopped carding me for buying alcohol. That just makes me feel ancient.
...after much deliberation, I've decided that I'm glad to be 25 instead of 15.  Ask me again in 10 years and I'll likely be whistling a different tune. 

No comments:

Post a Comment