Me, abridged...

My photo
I'm a "twenty-something". I am hopelessly awkward and romantic. I love music and movies and traveling and having new adventures. I teach first grade in South Carolina. These are my romantic musings and random ramblings.

Saturday, May 18, 2013

I don't want good and I don't want good enough.



So, I was out with some friends last night and one of my guy friends (who has been married for a few years) was asking me about my "love life"/lack thereof. Of course. (These sorts of encounters seem to be what my blog is mostly about.)  Now--backstory--in my tiny beach town, there are next to NO attractive, single men. At least no attractive, single men without a lot of baggage--illegitimate children, drug/alcohol problems, angry ex-wives, Peter Pan syndrome, etc. It is a beautiful, picturesque place, but a terrible, miserable place to live if you're single. Especially if you're single and socially awkward like I am. Anyhow, my friend was asking me why I can't be as open and charming in person as I am online because he thinks I am, in his words, "one of the most desirable single girls in our town". (He was being way too nice, in my opinion.)  I was super embarrassed when he said that, of course, and I told him about how I'm pretty introverted and usually only really charming and funny around people I know. Being that way doesn't exactly get you a lot of dates--which I think was his point.

I think my problem (or maybe my strength) is that I set really ridiculously high standards for men.  I am an over-thinker and occasionally a play-it-safer. I have gone out with a couple of guys in my town but there's always something that isn't quite right.  Either they have no sense of humor or they're too shy or they're secretly a huge douche bag or they're really only after one thing--and it's not my witty and amazing company--there's always something that isn't spot on.

Maybe it's idealistic of me, but I can't help but believe that if a guy really is "the one"--as cheesy and Disney princess-y as it sounds--I'm not going to have to TRY that hard and have to convince myself to like him.  I just WILL. I want to be completely and totally SOLD. If I'm not completely crazy about the guy, then what's the point of wasting my time?

No comments:

Post a Comment