Me, abridged...

My photo
I'm a "twenty-something". I am hopelessly awkward and romantic. I love music and movies and traveling and having new adventures. I teach first grade in South Carolina. These are my romantic musings and random ramblings.

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Becoming Edith Crawley?

Over the past few months I have become obsessed with Downton Abbey.  If you have not watched it, you should.  And don't worry, I will not give away any spoilers... But for those who have watched it and know what I'm talking about, I'm about to make some Downton references. I've always considered myself to be a combo of the personalities of Mary and Matthew.  However, as of late, I'm starting to relate with Edith, the middle sister and self-proclaimed "useful spinster".  NOT because I see myself that way, but because I think other people are starting to see me that way.

Last night, I went with my younger sister, her boyfriend, and a couple of good friends to a shagging (the dance) festival in my hometown.  Everyone gets dressed up, eats barbecue, drinks beer and blueberry wine, listens to live music, and dances all night. It's a pinnacle of Lowcountry culture. It's always an amazing time. Anyhow, last night I had three people talk to me separately about how "the right guy will come along when I least expect it" and to "not give up hope" or "settle".  By the end of the second conversation, I felt somehow embarrassed and just ended up nodding and rolling my eyes. I don't know if it was because my younger sister had a boyfriend with her or what provoked these "inspirational" talks.  Perhaps I looked depressed as I was dancing and having a good time with my girl friends? It is a known fact that I do want to get married, but I don't know how me "giving up hope" was put on the table. Anyone who knows me knows that I am not one to ever settle or give up hope on romance.  I watched too many damn Disney movies for that to happen.

The truth is, I am not someone who appreciates being pitied or felt sorry for. Now don't get me wrong, I'm sure these "pep talks" I've been receiving come from people with good intentions. These people truly care about me and want the best for me. I love them for it. It also really annoys me.  Maybe, I have too much pride. But, I do know that I'm going to eventually end up where I'm supposed to be and with whoever I'm supposed to be with.  I know I can be cynical at times, but I'm never going to "give up hope"; it's not in my nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment