Me, abridged...

My photo
I'm a "twenty-something". I am hopelessly awkward and romantic. I love music and movies and traveling and having new adventures. I teach first grade in South Carolina. These are my romantic musings and random ramblings.

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Living in your letters.

I think that with all this technology crap, people are losing the ability to actually communicate face-to-face. Personally, since I abhor talking on the phone, I choose texting as my main means of communication (with people who don't live near me).  I think it's really funny because I can remember ye olde pre-texting days when I would literally wait by the phone for my "crush" to call me. (Pathetic, I know. But that's how I roll.) Then there were the days of passing notes in middle and high school:  confessing my loooove for ***** and how I hoped that he would ask me to Winter Ball.  And how I wished I wasn't so pale and should I try a spray tan? (BIG mistake).

I can vividly remember my first text message ever. Probably because it came from my high school boyfriend. "Close lipped, another goodnight kiss is robbed of all its passion." A Dashboard Confessional quote. I spent hours poring over these words--trying to interpret the meaning of them. Looking back, he was probably just eluding to the fact that he wanted to make out with me...? ...but then again, I tend to read too much into things.

Whatever happened to the days of good old handwritten (love) letters? Elizabeth went months without talking to Mr. Darcy, during which time their affections only grew stronger. (Yes, I'm aware these are fictional characters.) I can't even go a few days without receiving a text from a guy I like without thinking I said/did something wrong and that he no longer finds me attractive and/or worthy of his time. Why can't we all just slow down a bit, stop needing everything to happen RIGHT NOW, and savor a thoughtful, handwritten letter?  Then again, that requires the trust that distance and time apart does indeed make the heart grow fonder and that the person you care about won't just choose a convenient person because they're there. Hmmm...I wonder if I'm capable of such a thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment